Our original denomination was Methodist Episcopal and founded in 1872. Christie Chapel, Elliott, Bloomfield, Mooreland, Wolfcreek, and Pleasant Grove were all a part of the charge. No splits are recorded. The time of the greatest membership (301) may have been in 1955. The time of our greatest problems came during the flood of 1969 when 24 inches of water covered the church floors. The time of the greatest strength was also evident then as members worked together willingly. Our church also suffered a huge loss when we lost our pastor, Irma Kimball, to cancer and we struggled to regain our faith (1996). Many, but not all of the people that entered the church during her time drifted from the church and efforts to bring them back failed. From 1994 to 2000, the church struggled through a failed appointment and two stints with the same pastor. From 2000 to 2006, under Pastor Jim Cooper, the church reestablished its commitment to its mission statement and regained some stability. From July 2006 to the present, we have been blessed with Pastor Roberta Fuller who is passionate for kids and has a genuine commitment to energize our church with creative ideas and a leadership style that is making our church focus on the needs of our church and community.
The church was originally built in 1872. According to prior documentation, it has been said that the church looks like a barn. The church has fan shaped stained glass memorial windows. Mismatched ceiling tiles show where the footage was added to the original building. There is a fellowship hall and four Sunday School rooms. The altar are was remodeled in 1955. In 1962, the pastor's study, choir room, and area for choir robe storage, plus two new classrooms, and dining room extension was added. The only two bathrooms in the church were recently remodeled. They are handicapped accessible. There is a full basement but little can be done with it as a result of flooding issues. A paved area beside the church replaced the gravel parking area for the pastor and a handicapped parking area.
The parsonage was dedicated in 1971 following the flood of 1969. It should be noted that the parsonage is out of the flood plain. The parsonage has wood frame construction and is located approximately 3/4 miles from the church. It is a ranch-style home and consists of four bedrooms, two bathrooms, attached two car garage, and a wooden deck that will soon need replaced. It has an unfinished basement as well. The kitchen was remodeled in 2008 and has a handicap accessible ramp leading to the front door. It is within a few minutes from the Killbuck Elementary School where kids can either walk (K - 5th) or catch the bus (6th - 12th) and attend West Holmes Jr. High and High School.